Saturday, November 30, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving From Virginia

Hello! Ty's Flat Stanley here in Gloucester, Virginia! I am standing in front of Ty's grandmama's house near the York River. Her house is called Free School House because it was established in 1675 as one of the first free schools for children in Virginia! In other words, it was one of the first public schools ever!


Here I am getting an art lesson from Ty's grandmama. She is a well known folk artist in Virginia!


Ty's grandmama, Kacey Carneal, is showing me one of her finished paintings called His Story Matters. The boat in the painting is called a Chesapeake Deadrise and the man in the painting uses it to find crabs and oysters. The people in Gloucester mostly fish and get other types of seafood and they can't imagine doing anything else!


Guess who surprised me and Grandmama with a visit?? My friend Ty! We went out on the dock to see the water and Ty showed me that big Osprey nest behind us. This river goes all the way to the Chesapeake Bay!


Ty and his grandmother showed me another one of her paintings called Children Take Me To That Enchanted Land. It is so cool how detailed her paintings are and how she makes the frame a part of the painting! This painting was purchased by the University of Virginia Children's Hospital. I bet it will make those kids feel better.



There sure are a lot of pine trees around here! It was fun climbing this one!


Well, I'm off on my next adventure! Virginia was beautiful. I wonder what I'll see next.

No comments:

Post a Comment